Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hyundai Genesis Spurs Memories of Love

Back in the day when I was much younger, much cooler and much thinner, I roared down city streets and suburban highways in a 1977 Renault R17 Gordini. It was an exhilarating drive thanks to a sliding canvas roof, rack-and-pinion steering and a unique sleek-geek profile.

But I almost left the green French coupe on the lot because at the time I didn't know how to drive a stick. But thanks to my girlfriend Geri (who later became Mrs. Tucker), I went ahead and purchased my first car and first manual transmission. Geri patiently taught me how to shift through the five gears, ride the clutch on inclines and down-shift in foul weather. Today, I'm still shifting--in a little German beauty I'll tell you about in an upcoming blog.

Call me old school but if you're gonna drive a sports car it should have a clutch and stick. Paddle shifters are okay but they don't engage your body and all the senses, unless you're in an exotic.

So I smiled when the 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe arrived in my driveway and purred like a film noir siren: "Let's have some fun, " she whispered. As soon as I turned the key I knew she was no lady. And "fun" meant frequent checks in the rear view mirror for the popo.

The gearbox was a bit testy, requiring a firm hand with no-nonsense push-pull. It's short throw and the high-revs make it easy to attract speeding tickets. The Genesis was cat-quick, hurling me past the speed limit in third gear, with three to go.

The car's interior is quite comfortable, especially after I figured out how to fold myself in the manually-adjustable sports seat. (Note to self: Lay off the sweets and get back to the health club.) Dials and tech were all good, and I really appreciated the small rear courtesy window that provided greater visibility when backing out of driveways and parking lots.

I also grew to appreciate the coupe's utility. During the testing period I found myself at a department store looking at pre-Christmas sales on flat-screen TVs. I purchased a modest 32-inch and hauled it out to the car. With the packaging my new TV didn't quite fit in the trunk. Then I realized a simple tug on a release would allow me to fold down the rear seats. Problem solved.

Wow. A car with brains and beauty and function . . . for about $23,000.

It can easily be an everyday car, although drivers with kids will want to look at the four-door. The sports suspension means a bouncy ride in metro areas with lots of road construction. But when you're on smooth highway pavement . . . Oh, baby, unleash, release and enjoy responsive handling, road-gripping wide tires, rear-wheel drive and a feeling that you can catch or pass most vehicles sharing the road.

Bottom line: The Genesis is the beginning of a good thing for Hyundai because there's something about a fire engine-red sports car with six on the floor, engine tune that's like adrenaline to the ears, and contours that make pedestrians of all ages green with envy. But I'm happiest about the memories of a little green sports car and the beautiful woman who taught me how to drive it . . . and enjoy my life in the driver's seat.

1 comment:

  1. Great beginning Michael!!

    Loved the read. Keep up the good work!

    David

    ReplyDelete